If you want to install Data Manager on a SQLServer where 2 or more instances are running you need to be aware of the following:
SQLServer normally run on Port: 1433
Bute when you use an SQLServer with more than one instance installation it will change the port number for the second instance(If the environment is set up to do this). The second instance will run on a dynamical port this means that after every restart of the SQLServer the port number will change.
You want to change the Dynamic port to static port? Follow these steps:
1. Go Sql Server Configuration Manager
2. Go to SQL Server Network Configuration
3. Select the instance
4. Open TCP/IP
5. On the bottom of the opened window fill in the TCP Port (IPAll, Do not set this at 1433) and blank out the TCP Dynamic Ports that is located above TCP Port.
6. Apply the Change.
7. Restart SQLServer.
8. Now you can install Data Manager on the instance.
You can leave the instance at a Dynamic port but we do not recommend this. After restarting the SQLServer the Port Number will change. This means every time SQLServer restarts you also need to change the Port Numbers in the Data Manager configuration files.
You want a quick way to find out on which Port Number SQLServer is running? Follow these steps:
1. Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Select the instance you want to know the Port Number off.
3. Right click on the SQLServer instance and select New Query
4. Submit the following Query and click on Execute:
WHERE local_tcp_port IS NOT NULL
On the bottom of the screen you can see the Port Number.