The platform Data Manager only runs on the Windows platform, agents can be installed on Unix/Linux. We support the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64, all types)
- Windows Server 2016 (x64, all types)
Data Manager is supported to be hosted within a virtual environment or to be installed on a physical server.
Data Manager is supported to run on premise and in the cloud. When installed in the cloud configuration/usage of some components (not webbased gui's, at the moment ETL+ and GenericWS) have to be done locally. The system can be 'called' from the cloud via SOAP or REST based webservices.
Even though we support remote databases and cluster configurations, our advice is to install the complete platform, including MS SQL database server, on one system.
The Data Manager platform supports 2 types of Authentication:
- SQL Server Authentication For the platform databases we support MS SQL authentication. SQL DBowner rights are needed to function properly.During installation MS SQL authentication is the only authentication method supported!
- Windows (Service Account) AD AuthenticationAt the moment of writing the option to use Windows Active Directory authentication is under development and being finalized, if needed please ask support for an update regarding the status.
Remote database support
Data Manager supports being installed on a remote database. Please take these notes into account:
- Configure MS SQL server option 'AdHoc Queries' For the platform we require the use of so called ‘OPENROWSET’. The MS SQL server where Data Manager will be installed need to have this server function enabled. More info and configuration can be found here
- The Microsoft OLE DB Driver has to be installed on the Data Manager server to provide native SQL connectivity to the remote database.
- Read/write to databases other than MS SQL If you want to connect to an Oracle database eg to read data from a table, please be aware that an Oracle client needs to be installed locally on the MS SQL system (It needs to be the same version as the MS SQL server version, 32/64bits!). For writing an Oracle client is needed on the Data Manager server.
In some occasions you even need 2 connections. If you want to connect to MySQL for example, you'll need to configure and allow 2 connections, 1 from the MS SQL remote database server and 1 from the local Data Manager application server.
MS SQL Cluster support / High Availability
Data Manager is supported on an MS SQL Cluster environment. Even though we support this, please be aware of the notes below, before installation.
- For a cluster environment, it’s mandatory to set the database recovery model to Full. The consequence is that the data files (db transaction log) will extend enormously.
- The 'Remote database support' notes apply to this configuration as well.
Microsoft SQL Server versions
Data Manager is only supported on the MS SQL server platform. We support all the MS SQL types available (e.g. standard, enterprise and express).
- MS SQL 2014 server (x64) (From version 2.4.1521.1+)
- MS SQL 2014 server SP2 (x64) (From version 2.4.1649.4+)
- MS SQL 2016 server (x64) (From version 2.4.1706.2+)
Is Microsoft SQL Express supported? Yes. Our platform can be installed on Microsoft SQL Express Edition (free version of MS SQL). It can be downloaded here. Please be aware of the limitations of this version. We recommend using the SQL_Latin_General_CP1_CS_AS collation.
Required Software & Components
The following components are required to complete the installation of Data Manager
- Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1and4.7.1 installed (You can click on the version number to be taken to the official download page)
- Microsoft Silverlight 5 software or higher
- An up-to-date web browser; We support Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, we prefer Mozilla Firefox to be used with our platform.
When the Data Manager applications and databases are installed on the same server, the specifications need to be combined (eg memory needs to be 32gb when Data Manager application and database reside on the same server).
NOTE: the group policy "System Cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing" has to be either "Not Defined" or "Disabled" on the application server for the installer to work. The system requirements as stated, are based on a dedicated installation of the Data Manager application server and the Data Manager database server.
Hardware minimum specifications for the Data Manager application server:
- Memory: 8 GB memory or more (16 GB recommended)
- Disk free space: 10 GB free disk space (20 GB free disk space recommended)
Hardware minimum specifications for the database server:
- Memory: 8 GB memory or more (16 GB recommended)
- Disk space: (the actual required size depends strongly on the actual amount of collected/generated data)
- 30GB free disk space for DM database and log files (In general 8-20 GB will be sufficient, set recovery model to simple)
Recommendation: In general it is a good practice to install separate physical drives for the database files and the database transaction logfiles for best performance. The recommended transaction logfile method is Simple. This will reduce the amount of disk space required for the transaction log files.
Default port numbers
The following ports are used by Data Manager by default:
- 4512 - ESB-Server host
- 8801 - ESB-Trigger port
- 8802 - ESB-Agent host
- 8803 - ESB-Listener host
- 8804 - ESB-Workflow port
- 8820 - DM-Portal host
- Besides the above port numbers, SQL and optional other port numbers to connect from Data Manager to other data sources, can be used and is dependent of your environment.
If you've got any questions regarding these pre-requisites, please contact us!